How Does Gastric Sleeve Compare to Gastric Bypass Surgery?
Each weight loss procedure offers unique benefits and drawbacks. Finding the ideal approach for your health concerns and desired outcome requires a thorough evaluation of your medical history. After considering all factors, patients may have a choice between two or more weight loss techniques. This often occurs with gastric sleeve and gastric bypass surgery, as the candidacy requirements overlap for both methods. Choosing between these two options can be a matter of preference, so it’s important to understand the pros and cons of each one.
Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- Does not reroute the lower intestine
- Limits how much food you can comfortably consume
- Requires a shorter operation time and may be less risky overall
- Has a higher risk of developing acid reflux
- Is less likely to cause nutritional deficiencies
Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Can achieve greater weight loss than gastric sleeve surgery
- Limits how much food you can comfortably consume and reduces absorption of calories
- Has a higher risk for dumping syndrome
- Considered the “gold-standard” approach with a longer history of medical use
- Can lead to nutritional deficiencies, which should be preventable by taking vitamins
For more information about weight loss techniques and which one might be right for you, please reach out to our skilled medical team to schedule a consultation.Previous Post Next Post